Generated Timing Variant

Should I refinance before my lock-in ends?

The useful question is not whether another bank looks cheaper today. It is whether the remaining lock-in window still makes the move premature, or whether this is the moment to prepare the switch properly.

Fast answer

If your lock-in has not ended, the main job is usually to prepare the refinance path rather than force the switch too early.

Before the lock-in ends, preparation is usually more valuable than a premature switch.

A retention offer can be a bridge, but only if it buys time without killing a later refinance comparison.

If the penalty and clawback still dominate the savings, waiting is discipline, not inaction.

What changes when the lock-in has not ended yet

Borrowers often ignore the window until a banker forwards a fresh rate sheet or a friend mentions that rates moved. By then, they either scramble too late or try to switch too early. The decision is about timing discipline before it becomes a pricing comparison.

Path

Prepare now

What it means

Start checking the market, documents, and retention path before the window opens fully.

When it fits

Best when the lock-in is ending soon enough that the work will still be usable.

Path

Reprice as the bridge

What it means

Use the bank's retention desk if the switch is still too early or the difference is not large enough yet.

When it fits

Best when repricing can buy time without forcing a premature refinance.

Path

Wait

What it means

Delay the move because the penalty and clawback math still kill the benefit.

When it fits

Best when the remaining window is still too long or the gap is too narrow.

What borrowers usually get wrong

These are the mistakes that make early refinance decisions weak.

Confusing preparation with switching

Preparation can be rational before the move is live. That does not mean the refinance should already happen this month just because a rates screenshot landed in the family chat.

Treating the lock-in as irrelevant because rates moved

A better market only matters after the break cost and clawback math stop dominating the answer. Until then, excitement about lower rates does not remove the lock-in problem.

Ignoring the retention desk

If the bank is willing to improve the package while you wait for the window to open, repricing may be the cleaner bridge instead of forcing paperwork before the move is commercially usable.

Observed timing scenarios

The right move changes materially depending on how much runway is left.

Three to six months left

This is often the point where comparison work starts making sense. The borrower who only starts here after a banker calls is late, but still not too late to pressure-test retention and line up the switch properly.

Nine to twelve months left

This is more often a planning case than a switching case. If the letter of offer is still buried in a drawer and nobody has checked the penalty math yet, the right move is preparation, not pretending the refinance is already live.

Only a narrow improvement over the bank offer

If the outside option is only slightly better and the bank is already engaging through the retention desk, repricing can keep the borrower moving without forcing a bigger refinance process too early.

Common questions

How early should I start checking before my lock-in ends?

Usually early enough to compare options and gather documents, but not so early that you mistake preparation for a usable switch.

Should I always wait until the lock-in fully ends?

No. You can prepare before expiry. The question is when the actual switch becomes commercially usable.

What if the bank already offered a retention package?

Then compare whether the outside option changes the answer enough to justify more process. Repricing can be the right bridge while timing is still tight.