Prime Node

Should I refinance now for my Singapore home loan?

The question is not whether rates moved. It is whether your timing, outstanding loan, and switching friction make the move usable right now.

Fast answer

Refinancing is worth doing now only when the move is usable, the gain survives costs, and another bank still changes the answer more than repricing or waiting.

A better rate is not enough if the move is still blocked by timing or switching friction.

Repricing is often enough when the gap is narrow and your current bank is already close.

The right refinance decision starts with usability, not excitement about a package table.

The question is not whether rates moved

Borrowers usually over-focus on the visible package table and under-focus on whether the move survives timing, costs, and structure fit. This page is built to narrow the answer before you start another process.

Path

Refinance now

What it means

Move to another bank because the timing is open and the improvement survives switching costs.

When it fits

Best when the market gap is meaningful, the loan is still large enough, and the structure change matters.

Path

Reprice first

What it means

Ask your current bank for a retention offer before starting a bigger switch.

When it fits

Best when the gap is modest and your bank may already be close enough.

Path

Wait

What it means

Delay the move because lock-in or timing still kills the benefit.

When it fits

Best when the move is not yet properly usable, even if the market looks better.

Path

Re-check structure

What it means

Review whether fixed, floating, or flexibility needs matter more than a headline rate.

When it fits

Best when the package shape may change the answer more than a small rate gap.

What changes the answer fastest

These are the first filters that usually change a borrower from yes to no, or from refinance to repricing.

Lock-in is still the first gate

If you are still meaningfully inside lock-in, the right answer may still be to wait even when the market looks better. Timing decides whether the move is even open.

A narrow gap is not enough on its own

A smaller gap can disappear quickly once legal, valuation, clawbacks, and your own process burden are included.

Bigger loans create more room for the move to matter

The same package change means very different things on a larger outstanding balance versus a smaller remaining loan.

Structure can still override rate tables

If you need a different lock-in, more flexibility, or a different floating-vs-fixed profile, the right move may come from structure rather than the cheapest visible rate.

Observed borrower situations

These scenarios are more useful than generic tips because they show how the answer changes when timing and process are real.

Owner already out of lock-in with a meaningful gap

The move is usable now. If the broader market still beats the retention offer after costs, refinancing deserves a proper run instead of another round of waiting.

Owner with five months left and only a modest difference

This is often too early for a clean refinance decision. The better move is to start checking, pressure-test the retention offer, and prepare the window rather than forcing a switch immediately.

Owner with a smaller remaining loan and a decent bank callback

This is the case where repricing often wins. The retention team may already be close enough, and the bigger refinance process may not change the outcome enough to justify itself.

Common questions

Should I refinance as soon as rates improve?

No. Better market packages do not matter if lock-in, process costs, or your package structure still make the move weak. The market only matters after the move is actually usable.

What if my current bank comes close enough?

Then repricing may be enough. The useful comparison is not just lowest visible rate. It is whether another bank changes the answer enough to justify more process.

How early should I start checking before lock-in ends?

Usually before the window fully opens. Borrowers who wait too late lose time to compare, gather documents, and react properly if the retention offer is weak.

What if I still do not know whether to move?

That usually means the decision is still unresolved, not that you need more random offers. Narrow the answer through timing, gap, cost, and structure before choosing a path.